20.3.14

Sin

in awe-full remembrance of a woman that shone ever so brightly a little over 47 years after her death at a mere 32 years of age ... when i think of modern iranian literature she remains my first and sole thought. a real loss of a stunning wordsmith.

"Sin" 

I have sinned a rapturous sin
in a warm enflamed embrace,
sinned in a pair of vindictive arms,
arms violent and ablaze.

In that quiet vacant dark
I looked into his mystic eyes,
found such longing that my heart
fluttered impatient in my breast.

In that quiet vacant dark
I sat beside him punch-drunk,
his lips released desire on mine,
grief unclenched my crazy heart.

I poured in his ears lyrics of love:
O my life, my lover it’s you I want.
Life-giving arms, it’s you I crave.
Crazed lover, for you I thirst.

Lust enflamed his eyes,
red wine trembled in the cup,
my body, naked and drunk
quivered softly on his breast.

I have sinned a rapturous sin
beside a body quivering and spent.
I do not know what I did O God,
in that quiet vacant dark.

Forugh Farrokhzad (1935-1967)


[she was also a budding film director. if you do not know her, here is a brief overview of her, her work and her life: http://blog.bestamericanpoetry.com/.../i-have-sinned-by...]


No comments:

Post a Comment